Monday, February 19, 2018

Yet another winter overnighter

This time there was some colors, so it feels motivated to write a short blog entry about the outing. On Friday-Saturday night I made a fatbike overnighter to Vajosuo, which I'm making a video from. On Sunday-Monday night I went on another overnighter with the 12-year old.

We started at 17:15,  a little before sunset. The first section was about 1 km through forest.

After a while we came to the open Vajosuo mire.

Though the sun had set, there was at least some colors.

Snowshoe tracks.

A picturesque tree.

We arrived at the Rettu shelter at 18:30 and immediately started a fire.

Pizza for starters.

Pancakes for dessert.

Father and son.

The temperature was -11C when we went to sleep a little before ten in the evening.

We slept quite well and it wasn't cold in the sleeping bag, except for my toes that took a while to get warm. I got up and started a fire around 6:30. It was around -12C in the air.

One hour later the breakfast was done and I woke up the 12-year old. Coffee/hot chocolate and sandwhiches with bacon.

I'm quite fond of the Klean Kanteen bottles, which are made of steel. You can boil water in them on the fire.

The sun rose at eight in the morning. We've soon gained for hours of daylight since the winter solstice and the sun is now up for 9.5 hours.  It feels great to finally get the light back.

At 8:45 we got going again. The easiest way out on the mire again is by following a ditch. My intention was to go on the other side of the tree, since the ice on the ditch looked a little suspicious. The pulk, however, had a will of its own and I took a few steps back and also went down to the ditch. The ice broke under my skis, but I was fast enough not to get any water in the shoes.

The mire is opening up.

It was clearly a bit colder on the mire.

We skied back in the tracks of yesterday.

Ice in the trees.

The tree of yesterday.

Back in the forest and a selfie to show that I was there.

This trail had been walked on.

We were back at the car a little before ten in the morning and drove home. I went to work a little late, but I've done fairly long days lately, so it was worth it. This was a nice little overnighter again and the Kurjenrahka area really is a winter paradise currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment